When I Blogged on 'London No 4' a couple of weeks ago I referred to a new skyscraper that was being built near the Cheese Grater and the Gherkin and at the time I didn't know its nick name - see photo below:
Yesterday, this building hit the headlines news in London because the reflection of the sun on the glass started to melt the cars and buildings in its vicinity! I have now discovered that it is called the Walkie Talkie and yesterday it was being called the Walkie Scorchie! I still think it looks more like a Lady Shaver myself!
My trip into London this week was to The Ritz Hotel for afternoon tea. For the overseas readers of the Blog, afternoon tea at one of the prestigious London Hotels is quintessentially English and it is deemed, by most, as a big treat, due to the cost! You can not just 'turn up' or 'pop in' on passing for tea at most of these Hotels. You need to book in advance and turn up in the correct dress otherwise you will not be let in. The dress code is so strict in the Ritz that gentlemen are not allowed to take their jackets off while seated at the table eating their tea! Ridiculous when it's 30 degrees outside - haven't they heard of 'Shirt Sleeve Order' (Davenant tradition on very hot days)? When I phoned the Ritz to book the table, the only time they could offer me in the late afternoon slot was 7.30pm. I thought this was a bit bizarre but I went with it and, as it turned out, it was perfect. It was perfect because I met my son and daughter in law after they had finished work at 6.30pm and we had enough time to go to the Rivoli Bar in the Ritz for Champagne Cocktails before hand! We had been given the 'heads up' about the bar in the Ritz by a friend and it really did live up to its reputation; in fact it was the highlight of the evening for me. The bar itself has been recently refurbished in the Art Deco style and is absolutely beautiful and the Cocktails are amazing. Sandra and Sue - my Champagne swilling friends - would be in seventh heaven in this bar.
Our double celebration over (their second wedding anniversary and Lucie's birthday) we said our fare-wells at 9.00pm and made our way home feeling very happy and disgustingly full!



Was a lovey evening and a massive treat for midweek!! Thanks mum!!! Xx
ReplyDelete:-) xxx
DeleteThank you for sharing this. How very POSH! You are very kind. I wish I could have joined you.
ReplyDeleteGlad you liked it. I hadn't seen them for ages so it was good to catch up with them. They are always so busy! Hope to see you soon. xxx
Delete