Thursday:
I remember learning about Argentina when I was about thirteen years old. My Geography teacher would try to explain what the Pampas was and we would try to imagine these vast expanses of green fertile plains and we would all try to look interested. Well, today, forty five years later, I actually saw from the plane these very things and my memories came flooding back.
Our flight from London with Brazilian airways TAM took about twelve hours to Sao Paulo in Brazil and then it took another two and a half hours to Buenos Aires. In total, it took us twenty four hours to get from home to our hotel in Buenos Aires and we did it all with just a couple of short naps! I watched The Great Gatsby - that I quite enjoyed - and Friends with Benefits - that had been recommended by several so called friends! Can't imagine why!
Friday:
We spent a couple of hours unwinding on the sun terrace of the Hotel, after we had unpacked, and tried to catch up on some sleep but we were not very successful! We then planned to go out for a drink, have a meal and then find a Milonga. We dressed up in our Tango dresses and dancing shoes and went out looking for somewhere to have a civilised evening drink. Sue made a friend on route!
We stumbled upon a really nice Argentinian bar and this is when our plans started to go astray! Here is the bar and the measures we were given!
After the equivalent of six gin and Tonics for Sue and Six Amarettos for me we staggered out of the bar with Sue hiding her glass, full of Gin and Tonic, under her cardigan, so that we could make our dinner reservation at 8.00pm in an Argentinian Restaurant called Fervor.
As you can see from this photo, I do look rather happy eating my 400gram steak (the size of a side plate), chips, spinach and salad.
The steak was magnificent but we both had to give up after eating about two thirds of it. If you are wondering what happened to the glass of G&T, well she tipped the drink into her water glass, hid the slice of lemon under the bread and then asked me to dispose of the glass, so in proper Dowrick style I put it in my handbag! Don't tell anyone!
Needless to say, we didn't make the Milonga, we screamed laughing all the way back to the hotel and I passed out on the bed as soon as my head hit the pillow! Sue decided she was going up to the roof terrace to rescue a bird with a broken wing - mental!
How I am going to keep her under control I will never know!






This is wonderful. So happy to read it as I have thinking of you all the time. Love the pug Sue. Any Argentinian schnauzers? Have a great trip and look after each other. xxx
ReplyDeleteGlad you are with us on our adventure. Will look out for Schnauzers! Lots of love xxx
DeleteSounds like a fab first day...hope you get to dance tonight! On the SCD front your wager is looking risky as your man, despite getting his guns out, is sitting at the bottom with Mark one point above him! Natalie back on top but overall not a lot between them all, so could be a shock exit!! Keep dancing! :-) xx
ReplyDeleteThat was the first Strictly programme I have ever missed in all eleven series but as my chief correspondent you have done me proud! Can't wait to know if Ben Cohen survives. Ashley to win though. xxx
DeleteExcellent start! Look forward to more blogs. Take care!
ReplyDeleteHi Linda, we are doing so much and are so busy it is difficult to keep up with the blog but I am glad you are with me. Look out for the ice cream blog tomorrow! xxx
DeleteSounds like a great first night! Those steaks look incredible. Glad you both arrived there ok. I want to know what happened with the injured bird?! DILY x
ReplyDeleteHi DILY, it's sad news about the bird; he died over night. We found him the following day and had to ask the hotel staff to bury him!
DeleteHaving a wonderful time - keep reading the blog and look out for me Tangoing. xxx
just checking. After all the dodgy food I have turned my nose up at you are eating my favourite food, your face Lynn is amazing. I haven't seen you look so hysterical. Go girl. More of the same. Ergo drink more alcohol!
ReplyDeleteTrue, you would love the food here - the steaks are amazing. For more of the same look at tomorrow's blog - doing a lot of drinking - it's all Sue's fault! xxx
DeleteMark & Ben in dance off, so viewers are voting for the best dancers this year! Looking forward to next weeks show...dancing to songs from musicals. Dance off now Mark first, he got 1 point more than Ben in last nights show so its going to be a close call! Oh dear he's gone wrong I don't think your bet is safe! Mark won 3 1!! Bens got a standing ovation he's had a good run but that's all folks!!
ReplyDeleteI think Evetta has a lot to do with that result - she is so entertaining, refreshing and wow, does she wear some wonderful outfits!! Sorry to see Big Ben go. Next week's theme is right up my alley - looking forward to seeing that on my Sky+. xxx
DeleteGlad your having a great time, love the photo of you eating your steak Lv Pat x
ReplyDeleteHi Pat, what do I look like in that photo? Hope everything is ok at home. xxx
Delete