Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Majorca No 2

Hi Family, Friends, Davenanters and Bloggers,

The sound of drilling woke me up this morning at 8.15am. They are renovating the Hotel and the noise is getting on my nerves - not best pleased! I had the full works for breakfast (Sandra, there was no egg man) and then walked around the corner to catch the open top sightseeing bus. The charge for the tour of the city was €15, the ticket is valid for 24 hours and passengers can get on and off as many times as they want to. I stayed on for the whole tour and it took about an hour and a half and we were given headphones to plug into the bus to hear a commentary in a language of our choice. I had a German man sitting next to me so, after I sorted out his headphones, conversation was a little difficult! The best three photos I took are:

The Cathedral with the Royal Palace on its left and the mountains in the distance:


Castell de Bellver - a 700 year old castle that over looks Palma Bay:


Palma Port with only one cruise liner (Tuesdays are quiet days in the Port):


After the tour I came back to the Hotel and there it was on the floor of my bathroom, the biggest cockroach I have ever seen! It was stuck on its back, flinging its arms, legs and other long bits around. It was totally gross so I put a glass over it, took a photo and called housekeeping to remove it. I feel totally creeped out by the whole thing. What with the drilling and the cockroach, its not looking good for this Hotel. Flabergastamoomoo (Tilly).

Any requests to see the photo?

In the afternoon I learnt how to use the local buses - quite simple really. When you get on the bus you pay the driver (how quaint) €1.50, job done! It costs the same for one stop or to stay on the bus all day - not that desperate yet!

I took the bus, and embarked on a pilgrimage, to see the Fundacio Pilar i Joan Miro which is on a hill to the west of Palma. When Miro died his wife, Pilar, converted his house and studio into an art centre. At the centre there is an exhibition of his paintings, drawings and sculptures. It cost €6 and I thought this was excellent value for money - unlike the bus tour that was very over priced. I loved it and it was right up my street - and Eleni you would have loved it too.

Some photos of his paintings - the first one has Palma Cathedral in the background and the second one is a series of paintings called The Dogs:




Two very large tapestries by Joseph Royo inspired by Miro's work:


At the exhibition we were given an insight into his collaborations with the music and dance world. The photos below are of the programme and costumes he designed for the ballet Arlequi  (Harlequin):



This is a photo of his studio:



And lastly, my favourite sculpture of the day called Maternite. 


My day finished with a selection of Tapas in a bar near the port. Marvilisimous (Tilly).

17 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn. Loved the Miro pictures.Top tip: 2 glasses of red wine before bed time and you wont hear the drilling! Love, Tina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina, good tip, trying Amaretto instead!

      Delete
  2. Ha! What a coincidence, we just had in 2 Miro's into the gallery for a private client! Looks like a nice day out was had! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some lovely galleries here in Palma - beautiful things for beautiful people! I am going to the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art tomorrow - keep reading. M

      Delete
  3. I liked the paintings too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they seemed to have gone down well. My pilgrimage was well worth the effort!

      Delete
  4. hello Lynn trying again. Sounds like you are settled. Good. Do not want to see picture of cockroach. How horrible. Had conference today at Marriott. Interesting. Jo Daniels asked me if I wanted to do consultancy work when I retire. What do you think? Joking! Let me see if I can send this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At last, success! It will be a bit difficult consulting from Las Vegas but, there again, your ICT is so good you could video conference from a casino!

      Did you notice that there was no egg man at breakfast? Times are hard hear in Palma!

      Delete
  5. Try to get to Abaco Lynn. Loving the reading so far. I want to be there..... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shazza, had a look in to Abaco yesterday and it looked amazing decked out in masses of fresh fruits and flowers etc but it doesn't open until 8pm and I am too hungry by then. Thanks for the recommendation though. Went to a lovely local restaurant tonight and had my first Paella. It was delicious.

      Delete
  6. I'd like to see the picture of the cockroach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust you Helen - another LOL moment. I will put it in my next blog with a warning!

      Delete
  7. You've certainly hit the floor running although not so sure about your choice of roommate! Looking forward to reading about what you've been up to today :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made me LOL too! Just about to write about today's adventure - it was another good day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi looks like your having fun liking pictures, glad to see you are helping the Germans! They must be drilling in your room if its keeping you awake. Hope you got to Soller today? Hate to tell you but the sun came out here today for a brief visit.

    I have a mission whilst you are in Majorca I need to find a hotel that has about 6 tennis courts pool, near the beach and in a small and friendly village or town. The girls want to go on a tennis tour next year. So chat up the locals and taxi drivers and find out.

    Keep smiling don't get to brown otherwise I will need to invest in a spray tan !!!

    Lots of Love Paula xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not quite in my room but I think they are immediately underneath it. They didn't start drilling till 9.15 this morning - result! The difficulty with chatting people up is that hardly anyone speaks English. There are hardly any Brits here but lots of Germans and Norwegians. Going to have to work on my Spanish a bit more!

      Delete
  10. you are getting lots of replies. Brilliant. X egg man a Caribbean things obviously!

    ReplyDelete