Thursday, 28 March 2013

Sagatorial No 11

Hi Family, Friends, Davenanters and Bloggers,

When I was eighteen years old and my sister was fourteen, our parents went on a holiday to Spain without us for the first time. In those days it was the custom to send post cards and to bring back presents for all your closest friends and family - something we no longer do. My parents brought back for me and my sister a set if baby doll pyjamas each, in different colours. These pyjamas were perfect for hot weather because they were made of extremely light fabric that never creased and if they needed to be washed they would dry within a matter of minutes. They looked sort of Chinese in design and mine were yellow and my sisters were blue. We both liked taking them on holidays because they were perfect for packing and wearing in hot climates.

Since then, these pyjamas have travelled with me all over the place. I can not imagine how many countries they have been to, how many beds they have been in and how many people have folded them up and put them on my pillow for me.

When I was on holiday in Majorca last year with my sister, my niece and her friend we had a conversation about 'keepers'. A 'keeper' is an article of clothing that you have for a very long time and you wear it from time to time but you never throw it away or give it to a charity shop, because you love it. Everyone admitted to having at least one 'keeper' and described it in detail for everyone else. Mine was obviously my pyjamas and this is when we worked out that they were forty years old. My sister admitted that her baby dolls had bitten the dust some years ago and she said that mine were looking a bit worse for wear. She was right because the colours had faded and the elastic in the pants had started to disintegrate.

Yesterday, my sister gave me an early birthday present and she told me that it may come In handy in Barbados. I really couldn't imagine what was in the parcel, so today I decided to opened it. It was a LOL moment because I really was not on the same wave length as her and it came as a surprise - a new pair of baby doll pyjamas! Admittedly, they are more glamorous than my old ones, they are made with a light fabric and will be perfect for holidays but will I still be wearing them when I am ninety-eight years old?

Photo of 'keeper' pyjamas below.

15 comments:

  1. But what are you going to do with the original pyjamas? You can't throw them away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what to do - what a dilemma! Will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG you barking mad! If I'd have know the new ones needed to last you into your eighties I would have chosen a flannelette pair. Just thinking on what was my keeper it was my mac I still have it only 36 years old. Have fab holiday x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very chic Lyn. But you need more than one pair of pyjamas or else you'll smell! Have a lovely time. When are you off?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Jen, you have just solved the dilemma. We are off on Tuesday - hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bon Voyage! Have a fab time. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely story!
    Have a great time and I will be there following your blogs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Linda - I hope my iPad works in Barbados and I can continue to blog while I am there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. my brown brogues were my keeper...and I love them but they are only 32 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peacock, welcome to my blog. You are the first male to make a comment - keep them coming! By the way, I would know those brown Brogues anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Come on Lynn, you must have a blog for April Fools' Day! How's the packing going?

    ReplyDelete
  12. We need Trevor for an April Fools' Day story. I could never work out whether he was joking or not when he launched into one of his ridiculous stories. As far as the packing goes, it is all done, and I have even managed to have my neighbours, Chipmunk and Tinie Tempah, around for tea this afternoon. It was brilliant and I will tell you all about it when I see you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are incredible - can't wait to hear THAT story.

    Have a wonderful time. Keep up the blog.

    Lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Got you Jen - April Fool! Chipmunk is my neighbour but I haven't had him around for tea, well not yet anyway!

    ReplyDelete